Non-Motorized Trail Development (Hiking, Biking, Snowshoeing, Cross-Country Skiing) Proposed in the Sudbury District of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Public Notice for a Category B Project Evaluation Class Environmental Assessment for MNRF Resource Stewardship and Facility Development Projects
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) has received an application under the Public Lands Act from the Kivi Park Community Foundation Inc. to construct a total of 21.6 km of non-motorized, hiking, biking, snowshoeing and cross-country ski trails on Crown Land in the south end of the City of Greater Sudbury. The applicant is inviting public comment on the proposal to:
- Construct and maintain 15.9 km of new, natural surface hiking, biking and snowshoeing trails, up to 8 feet wide, around Crowley and Linton Lakes and around a small, unnamed lake north of Crowley Lake which Park officials refer to as “Kivi Lake”;
- Construct and maintain 5.7 km of new, gravel surface cross-country ski trails, up to 20 feet wide, on Crown Land south and west of the Kivi Park boundary, near Forest, Crowley and “Kivi” Lakes;
- Obtain MNRF approval for the disposition of Crown Land for associated trail corridors in the form of a Land Use Permit (LUP) under the Public Lands Act.
Proposed trail development activities would occur on Crown Land in Broder Township within the City of Greater Sudbury’s south end in the MNRF Sudbury District.
Kivi Park is a new, chartity center for outdoor recreation and adventure-based tourism.
The project will:
- Provide Kivi Park users with a sustainable, non-motorized, multi-use trail system and minimize random, non-sanctioned trails appearing on shorelines and other areas along these lakes.
- Provide Kivi Park with sufficient space to complete its cross-country ski trail system, which will enhance the cross-country skiing experience at the park.
- Connect Kivi trails into a single network, increasing the ease and efficiency of trail use, trail maintenance and trail safety.
- Provide the Park with the occupational authority to limit trail use to persons possessing a membership or day pass to Kivi Park.
No significant adverse environmental effects are anticipated. All construction and trail maintenance activities will be undertaken in accordance with provincial guidelines and recommendations for protection of migratory birds, species at risk and shoreline/aquatic habitat.
You are invited to direct any inquiries, comments or requests regarding the non-motorized trail development proposal to the Applicant or MNRF contact noted below. Comments must be received within the 30-day comment period, which expires on May 14, 2021.
The proposal is being planned in accordance with a Category B project under the Class Environmental Assessment for MNRF Resource Stewardship and Facility Development Projects. A Notice of Completion will be provided only to parties who have provided input or requested further notice. MNRF may proceed to implement the project without issuing a further general notice.
For more information on the project, to submit comments, or to request further notice, please contact:
Kivi Park Community Foundation
1 Ceasar Rd, Sudbury, ON P3E 5P3
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry – Sudbury District
Suite 5, 3767 Hwy 69 S, Sudbury, ON P3G 1E7
Comments and personal information regarding this proposal are collected under authority of the Environmental Assessment Act to assist MNRF in making decisions. Comments not constituting personal information as defined by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, will be shared among MNRF and others as appropriate, and may be included in documentation available for public review. Personal information will remain confidential unless prior consent to disclose is obtained.
Notice issued April 12, 2021
Sign-up for our newsletter.
Keep informed of all activities at Kivi Park including trail conditions and upcoming events.Sign-Up Now
© Copyright . Kivi Park Sudbury. All Rights Reserved.Site designed by OvertheAtlantic (Canada)